TOP > 2016 Fukushima Earthquake and Tsunami-eng
The 2016 Fukushima Earthquake and Tsunami
Updated on February 1, 2017 （Published on November 22, 2016)
On November 22, 2016 a magnitude 7.4 earthquake (measuring the maximum shindo 5 lower on the Japanese intensity scale) occureed off Fukushima Prefecture, Japan at 05:59:58 JST. The earthquake triggered the tsunami of up to 1.4-meter height to the notheast and east side of Japan. Currently, several research teams of IRIDeS are analyzing and investigating the causes and the aftermath of this major disaster. This page will be updated from time to time with relevant information.
- Tsunami trace survey data (Inundation height and runup) NEW!
- International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction "The 2016 Fukushima earthquake and tsunami: Local tsunami behavior and recommendations for tsunami disaster risk reduction" : Anawat Suppasri, Natt Leelawat, Panon Latcharote, Volker Roeber, Kei Yamashita, Akihiro Hayashi, Hiroyuki Ohira, Kentaro Fukui, Akifumi Hisamatsu, David Nguyen, Fumihiko Imamura NEW!
- Survey of the runup from the Fukushima tsunami in Tagajo City and Miyato Island, Miyagi : Assoc. Prof. Anawat SUPPASRI, Assis. Prof. Volker ROEBER, Assis. Prof. Kei YAMASHITA and Research Associate Akihiro HAYASHI
- Tidal Records in Sendai, Miyagi, JAPAN, & observations of the Fukushima-oki tsunami signal<English> ： Assis. Prof. Volker ROEBER
- Video Report by Assis. Prof. Volker ROEBER
- Fukushima-Tsunami Survey at Sendai Shinko on 23 November, 2016 Sendai Shinko on 4 November, 2016 Sendai Shinko on 2 September, 2016
- Modeling the Tsunami of 22 November 2016 in Fukushima ： Tsunami Engineering Laboratory
- November 22, 2016 off Fukushima Prefecture earthquake and tsunami map<Japanese> ： Crisis Response Information Processing Unit
- Preliminary Early Report on the Mw7.0 – Off Fukushima Prefecture, Japan tsunami ： Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics for Disaster Management Research Field
- 平成28年11月22日福島県沖の地震（M7.4）を引き起こした活断層を特定<Japanese> ： 遠田晋次教授（国際巨大災害研究分野）
English Language News
- NHK World—Tsunami evacuation hindered by traffic
- NHK World—Meteorological Agency to review tsunami warnings
- NHK World—Agency urges evacuation due to tsunami risk
- ABC—Japan earthquake: Tsunami warning downgraded after powerful quake off Fukushima
- BBC—Fukushima: Japan lists tsunami alert after7.4 quake
- CNN 6.9-magnitude earthquake strikes off Japan
- The Guardian—Fukushima: tsunami waves hit after 7.4 magnitude earthquake hits Japan